The typical wisdom during a potential disaster is to fill your bathtub up with water. This is a good idea unless you avhe small kids where drowning is a major concern. MOst folks don’t know they already have a bathtub’s worth of water stored in their houses that’s secured from little hands….your water heater. How so you get to this water? It’s fairly simple:
1. turn off the breaker to the water heater and let it cool down
2. find the drain valve at the bottom of hte tank…you’ll most likely need a flathead screwdriver to open it.
3. let a small bit flush first…most water heaters collect sediment in the bottm(where the vavle is).
4. using a funnel/garden hose..something drain the water into a bucket or other container.
5. pour into potty flush tank
6. flush potty
Obviously i would not use this for drinking or cooking unless it was boiled first..but if you get enough 1 gallon jugs or something else fill those up with fresh tap water(cold) and store them in a safe place. 1 gallon per day per person is usually sufficient.