We need to isolate the elderly from everyone else. If you are a high risk person then you should self-isolate to keep yourself from getting it for as long as possible. This is true and reasonable. The lock downs, which will not stop the virus from going through the population, should be released before our economy craters on a permanent forward basis. Israel gets this:
Next Trump should issue an Executive Order something along the lines of the following:
WHEREAS the Wuhanic Plague, otherwise known as the Chinese Virus, Kung Flu, Coronavirus or SARS-CV2 represents a clear and present danger to the National Security of the United States;
WHEREAS epidemiologists, medical officers of the States, State Governors and doctors with the CDC, NIH and other agencies have all stated, both publicly and privately, that “social distancing”, “shelter in place” and other mass-closures of part of the economy may be necessary for anywhere from a few weeks to as much as 18 months to effectuate a “flattening of the curve” of the virus;
WHEREAS The United States cannot realistically shut down its economy for six months, say much less 18, and the inability of medical authorities to provide any reasonable set of assurances that a shorter shutdown will actually do anything other than inflict economic damage and will only defer, not prevent, human misery and death;
WHEREAS it is necessary for the United States to posses a vibrant, functional economy not only to provide the goods and services necessary to fight this virus but also to supply the funding to pay for medical care that the citizens may need, both publicly and privately;
WHEREAS the United States economy, with the steps taken to date, is facing the threat of an exponential and escalating collapse of employment, GDP, cross-defaults and bankruptcies at an unprecedented rate surpassing even that of the Great Depression of the 1930s;
WHEREAS The Needs of the Many Outweigh The Needs of The Few;
I therefore invoke my powers under the Defense Production Act and The Stafford Act to decree as follows:
- All lockdowns and mass business closures are hereby lifted as contrary to the public good of the United States and, under the Defense Production Act, ordered to return to operation as soon as reasonably possible. This act shall override all contrary declarations of State and Local Officials but not other Federal Executive Orders, including suspension of the entry of non-US Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents. In short: Go back to work and re-open your businesses now.
- Any US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident who enters the United States after the execution of this order shall be tested for fever. Those who test negative for fever shall be ordered to self-isolate for 14 days. Those who test positive for fever or violate said self-isolation order shall be quarantined for 14 days and shall not be released until the fever breaks and two (2) subsequent SARS-CV2 tests are negative at least 24 hours apart.
- Acts of hoarding or unreasonable price escalations beyond market prices for masks, gowns, swabs and other medical supplies of any sort shall result in the immediate seizure of same by the US Government and their forfeiture for distribution through the National emergency distribution system as operated by FEMA.
- Any person who requests oral medication that has been shown by controlled or uncontrolled study, anecdote or other reasonable medical evidence in any western nation to have efficacy against SARS-CV2 shall have the right to obtain, under medical advice, said medication for their exclusive personal use whether in treatment or prophylaxis.
- Those persons over the age of 55 shall not be admitted to any hospital in the United States for any actual or suspected SARS-CV2 related condition where the net admission rate to same (defined as admissions net of discharges) times the currently accepted R0 of SARS-CV2 has been exceeded in the previous ten (10) days, unless they test positive for SARS-CV2 antibodies and negative for the actual virus (thereby demonstrating immunity), under my authority in the Defense Production Act to allocate, ration, reallocate and provision necessary goods, services and supplies. Hospitals, Emergency Rooms and related facilities shall enforce this provision and may request enforcement assistance from their State National Guard if required to maintain order. This provision shall apply without exception to all persons in the United States and its territories, including but not limited to myself, members of Congress, the Executive and other departments and branches of the Federal, State and Local Governments. No person may inquire, travel or “shop” across jurisdictions, locations, states or otherwise in the United States in an attempt to circumvent this provision and any person attempting same shall be denied said services upon discovery. This provision shall not prohibit the dispensing of any drug by mouth or any medical device that can be and is used in one’s home or other place of residence, whether temporary or permanent, for the provision of treatment of the symptoms associated with SARS-CV2.
- It is strongly urged that persons over the age of 55, or those with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, a history of cancer or immune disorders practice extreme social distancing and self-isolate at home. However, no act of law shall be made to require same absent a positive test demonstrating current infection.
- The State, County and City governments shall maintain their right under existing State authorities, should they so choose, to isolate or quarantine, by force if they deem necessary, any person or persons who actually tests positive for active SARS-CV2 infection until such time as two subsequent tests, at least 24 hours apart, no longer show the presence of actual virus.
- Under my authority in the Defense Production Act all medical services, including drugs, devices, professional services and care provided to any person who tests positive for SARS-CV2 shall be billed to the Federal Government under its Medicaid program and upon the Medicaid Schedules of payment for services and no charge shall be made to any person, insurance company or self-insuring business for same.
- Non-hospitalization services, including testing and drugs shall be available for SARS-CV2 without prejudice with regard to immigration status and no action by CBP or ICE shall be taken solely as a result of seeking or obtaining treatment under this order. However, under the Defense Production Act I hereby decree that no hospitalization admittance shall be permitted any person not authorized to be in the United States as such services and goods shall be reserved for United States citizens and lawful permanent residents.
- No person shall be compelled by law or regulation to take any treatment for this condition, whether in prophylaxis or otherwise, including but not limited to any potential future vaccine.
- No person may bring a suit law or equity for any service provided or not provided in conformance with this Executive Order, and medical providers, hospitals, drug companies and suppliers are hereby indemnified from liability in connection with their actions or refusals to act with the exception of acts that are found to constitute gross negligence.
- This order shall remain in effect until herd immunity is established at a sufficient level to suppress community spread of this disease, whether by infection or the eventual development of a vaccine.
By the way, I have skin in this game.
I’m 56, so if I get it and the scolds are right and the medical system would be slammed, no hospital admission for me.
Go back to work.